Sunday, August 11, 2019

Not Back on It...Still on It

I am a gaming autodidact.

By this I mean that I never had a mentor or group who showed me the way into the world of tabletop gaming. No older sibling or cousin to pass down their chipped miniatures and tattered manuals, no group of my peers to welcome me in.

No sir, starting around the age of 12, it was all cobbled together by yours truly from the pages of Dragon, White Dwarf, and the Wargames West catalog, punctuated by trips to my not-so-friendly local gaming store. Due to accidents of demographics and timing, I didn't meet any fellow "seasoned gamers" until I was well into my teens—by which point that crowd was a year or two younger than me (a lifetime in adolescent world!).

I say all this as a preliminary to the reason why I'm announcing...

See, in the process of teaching myself about the hobby, I became determined to master the Big Three: RPGs, miniatures wargaming, and board wargaming. These ventures have met with varying degrees of success and failure over the years. RPGs are unquestionably my greatest arena of success, but there were times over the years where I could have just as easily veered off into miniatures wargaming as my prime tabletop gaming outlet. (Board wargaming, sadly, has never been more than a footnote.)

Because I came into the hobby circa 1990, and at an impressionable age at that, many of the Old Ways of the Hobby impressed themselves into my tender brain. In the realm of miniatures gaming, this chiefly took the form of appreciating the role of Napoleonics in the foundations of modern miniatures wargaming and even role-playing games. I always felt...well, almost a duty to "get into" Napoleonics as part of my overall self-designed curriculum.

That was over 25 years ago now. I won't get into the multitudinous reasons why I never quite managed to meet that goal, why Napoleonics consistently eluded me. I'll only say that a chance bit of browsing the Internet a few weeks ago led me to what I believe is a final homecoming to this most tricky of niches.

So why does this mean I'm back on my bullshit, you ask?

Well, like most hobbyists, I've done the whole "no new miniatures" pledge. Or rather, no new projects without clearing space from my collection first. For example, my Fantasy Warriors project was made possible by clearing out my Armies of Arcana and WarmaHordes collections.

But this dip into Napoleonics constitutes a whole new project. So how do I justify it? Well, you see, it's a very, very small project...

Those are blocks of 2mm scale units moving across a (mostly) flat acrylic battlefield. The whole concept comes courtesy of Forward March Studios, from where I snatched the photos above and below and who I now have to thank for giving me an entry point to Napoleonics after all these years.

See, the 3-D printed minis offered by Forward March are suuuuper cheap, which addresses one of the chief problems with the genre. And the figure scale practically dictates a grand-tactical approach (for which I have selected the intriguing Et Sans Résultat rules to drive the table action), nicely doing away with the at-times fiddly tendencies of period rulesets and focusing on what makes the era so arresting: massive armies moving in great columns and lines across a war-torn landscape.

Best of all, all the component pieces (save the plastic "board") fit into a little tackle box!

So, you see, I get to cheat a bit, as this is something perhaps a bit closer to a kriegspiel-style "operations room" wargame than a traditional miniatures game. Hell, I'm even tempted to pick up a couple croupier's sticks to move the units around! (I'm only half-joking...)

I'm also happy that this is a project that doesn't represent much commitment in terms of painting time. Those 2mm blocks paint up real fast, or so I'm given to understand, and terrain is pretty much accounted for. At this point, I'm mostly just waiting for the ESR rulebook and my 3-D printed strips and buildings to arrive in the mail and I can conceivably have a game up and running within a few days—quite a refreshing change from the extremely slow burn of all my other projects!

(Speaking of those, I should have some stuff to post soon. Gen Con prep and various writing commitments slowed me down a bit this summer, but I've been steadily plugging away on my 40K and DBA projects, and I just need to make time to take some photos so I can post about them.)

Once I get in a game of my micro-scale Napoleonics, I'll be sure to post about the experience here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...