Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Hobby Streak!

The last couple months have seen me painting more frequently than I have in years. Possibly decades.

This was partly due to taking on a couple commissions in addition to my regular personal painting. In fact, I was painting so much, I started to develop carpal tunnel pain in my painting hand! As my day job requires me to do a lot of typing, this was seriously worrisome.

So I'm hanging up my commission painting cap for a while (though I will probably still eBay painted figs from time to time) so I can take it easy and go at a slow-but-steady pace that isn't going to mess up my precious hands.

Because...
I'm gonna flippin' do it, man. I'm tired of staring at the unpainted figures on my shelves. I figured out that if I complete around 30 figures a week, I'll get nearly everything finished by the time Gen Con rolls around next year. Why Gen Con as my goal? Simply because it's sort of the beginning of a new "fiscal year" for me, both professionally and in terms my hobby. So it seems like a reasonable goal, and the math worked out pretty well.

I recently discovered Dana Howl's excellent painting tutorial channel on YouTube, and through that I found out she's been posting a #HobbyStreak photo on her Instagram every day for nearly a year. Talk about inspiration!

It's so inspiring, in fact, that I've started up an Instagram account linked to this very blog. I'm one week into my own personal #HobbyStreak and feeling good. The carpal tunnel has gone away (thankfully!) and it's already been really gratifying to see new painted figures appearing on my shelves again. Woohoo!

Hoping by around the first week of December to have two AWI forces painted up for Sharp Practice, at which point I will ideally get a game in soon after. I'll then move on to some 28mm Napoleonics (inspired by one of my recent commissions)—also for Sharp Practice—as well as 28mm Genpei War-era samurai for Ronin. That should close out the year, at which point I'm turning my attention to my patchwork of unpainted WWII platoons...

In sadder news, I was supposed to play Malifaux this week for the first time in a very long time, but it was cancelled at the last minute due to my opponent coming down with a cold. We've rescheduled for two weeks from now. I took pictures of the table so I can set it up again, but figured I'd share one here as a teaser...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...